A Fight Against Hate campaign was launched at Delegates Assembly on 7th February 2016 with the following goals:
- engage with Arriva Buses to influence them to display posters raising awareness on hate with “Fighting Against Hate” posters on their buses serving Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas.
- engage with our member schools to run a poster design campaign. This will keep schools engaged; especially as there will be a small prize for the 5 or 6 posters selected for advertising.
- work in partnership with MK Council to host a peer support meeting for victims of hate crimes by July 2017, to which we will invite power holders such as the Thames Valley Police and the MK Equality Council
- meet with Thames Valley Police and MK Council to plan an event on best practice in restorative justice.
Progress to date
- Arriva Buses has agreed to display posters during national Hate Crime Awareness Week 2017
- Poster Competition was held and winners announced at The Open University on 19th July. Winner was Noorah Mohammed (see news story).
- Healing through Hearing event was held on 28th June. (See news story.)
- Meetings have been held with the Area Commander and officers of Thames Valley Police, also the Leader and officers of MK Council, regarding best practice in restorative justice.
What is Hate?
A hate incident is where someone has been called names, been bullied or been physically hurt just because they may be from a different country, have a different skin colour, have a different religion or belief, they like boys more than girls or girls more boys, have a disability or are different in other ways. When we fight hate we work to make a safer, kinder world for all of us.
Campaign Team members
- Anthony Okotcha*, Church of Christ the Cornerstone
- Bal Bassral, MK Equality Council
- Fidele Mutwarasibo*+, Church of Christ the Cornerstone
- Jiten Patel*, Open University
- Michael Willis, St. Frideswide’s Church
- Mubasher Maqbool, Ahmadiyya Muslim Association MK
- Sophia Kibirige*, MK Muslim Association
- Tracie.Farrell-Frey, Open University
*Campaign Steering Group, +Campaign Chair
If you would like further information, please email email@example.com.